Having recently purchased my house I am now looking to set up my craft room. See my previous post on planning my craft room. This will be a few months away as we have a lot of other renovations to do before that room, but a girl can dream. I have been thinking about having my own personal space for years now, I have a little notebook of ideas that I jotted down at various times with ideas and inspirations. I also look online to see how other crafters have setup their rooms. My dilemma is that I want so much in my room.
Here are some ideas I have found.
Here is a room that has provided heaps of inspiration, Karen at Sew Many Ways has a great post on her sewing space.
I found this at Cool Room Ideas. Such a pretty fresh room with the green and white.
And this is a good idea for pencils and brushes.
Here is some of my stash and some of my family tree files in a cupboard at my old house.
Here is my current list of *wants*:
- sewing space including a place for my overlocker
- I also want to teach sewing from home so I am thinking of having 5 spots for students, therefore I need sets of drawers and bench space for each person. I could also use this long bench for when I do my family tree and need to have lots of paperwork out.
- a wrapping station – so sick of hunting for wrapping paper and cards. I want one space where I can have all the paper on rolls ready to wrap
- a watercolour space, I dabble in watercolour painting so I definitely need one of these. Preferably close to the laundry where the sink will be.
- a place for my computer or should I say computers, yes I am guilty of having more than one. Oh, and the tribe of printers.
- cutting table, a large table where I can cut my fabrics that is at the right height so I don’t get a backache
- fabric storage for both quilting and general sewing – doh!
- I make and sell items at markets so I have a lot of tubs dedicated to that. I need somewhere to store them all.
- Seating – I need my work chair plus 5 student chairs. I would also like a couch where I can sit comfortably and read.
- I have a large table that is over 100 years old that I want to reuse. It measure about 1.2m x 2m.
- Book storage – for all those inspirational books I have.
- Somewhere to store the endless tubs, boxes and contains I have of “stuff”. I am in to so many crafts that I have many of these.
- Lighting – good task and overhead lighting will be a must!
- Tool storage, especially those pesky large items like quilting rulers.
- the pretties, I definitely need some pretty in this room for inspiration
I am lucky as my room is quite big, it measures 7.2m x 3.9m. It is currently has white floor tiles and I won’t have the money to change these as yet. It also has an access door to under the house that I need to keep. It is an old carport that has been bricked in so the walls are not that nice and they have ant capping about ⅓ of the way up that I need to keep. I asked the builder about lining the walls but he is worried about termites if I do that so I have decided just to use it as is. It is off the laundry and there is also a powder room and study on this level, so I will probably put the printers and computers into the study area. I may even use the study for the couch to free up room in the main craft room.
I shall let you know how it all goes.
til next time,
I attend link parties at:
sew many ways
scattered thoughts of a craft mum
a round tuit
a pinch of joy
sew can do
create with joy
keeping it simple
one mother hen
my home truths
wait til your father gets home
the craft blog stalker
sugar bee crafts
my girlish whims
the life of jennifer dawn
international bloggers association